Sync icon overlays are missing from OneDrive for Business synced items
Note To determine which OneDrive sync client you're using, see the following Microsoft website:
OneDrive for Business may not display sync icon overlays on files and folders. This includes the status for items that are syncing, items that synced, or items that did not sync.
Note A successful sync icon overlay contains a green circle with check mark, as shown in the following screen shot:
Here's an easy fixTo fix this problem automatically, click the Download button. In the File Download dialog box, click Run or Open, and then follow the steps in the easy fix wizard.
- This wizard may be in English only. However, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
- If you’re not on the computer that has the problem, save the easy fix solution to a flash drive or a CD, and then run it on the computer that has the problem.
Let me fix it myselfEasy fix 20152
Important Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require you to reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be resolved. Modify the registry at your own risk.
If you want to have OneDrive icon overlays take priority over other applications, consider the following workarounds.
Workaround 1: Update the registryUpdate the registry to give priority to OneDrive for Business. Priority is based on the alphabetical order of the entries. Use this workaround if you want to enable OneDrive for Business to show its icon overlays. This workaround will suppress other icon overlays from other programs, and some programs in future updates may re-suppress OneDrive for Business icon overlays.
To update the registry, follow these steps:
- Open registry editor.
- Windows 10: In the search box on your task bar, type regedit.exe, and then press Enter. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password, or provide confirmation.
- Windows 8 and 8.1: Swipe in from the right side of the screen, and then tap Search. Or, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search. In the search box, type regedit.exe, and then press Enter. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password, or provide confirmation.
- Windows 7: Click Start, type regedit.exe in the search box, and then press Enter. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password, or provide confirmation.
- Move to the following folder, and then expand it:
- Rename the following registry keys. To do this, right-click the folder, select Rename, and then rename the folder. When you rename the folder, add two spaces at the beginning of the name.
Note You may have to add more than one space to the beginning of the folder name depending whether other icon overlay providers have added leading spaces to their icon overlay names.
Old folder name New folder name SkyDrivePro1 (ErrorConflict) <space><space>SkyDrivePro1 (ErrorConflict) SkyDrivePro2 (SyncInProgress) <space><space>SkyDrivePro2 (SyncInProgress) SkyDrivePro3 (InSync) <space><space>SkyDrivePro3 (InSync)
Note In this example, <space><space> represents two spaces in the renamed folder name.
- On the View menu, click Refresh to verify that the renamed keys now appear at the top of the list.
- Exit Registry Editor, and then restart your computer.
Workaround 2: Uninstall unused applicationsConsider uninstalling applications that heavily use icon overlays that you aren’t using. This workaround will unregister the icon overlays that are used by those applications and could enable OneDrive for Business to display icon overlays again. You may have to restart your computer after you uninstall the applications for the icon overlays to reappear.
Third-party information disclaimer
The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, about the performance or reliability of these products.
Still need help? Go to the Office 365 Community website.
Article ID: 3079213 - Last Review: 03/07/2016 23:37:00 - Revision: 7.0
- OneDrive for Business
Add a comment
Please log in or register to submit a comment.